Pullman High School Ensuring Learning While Challenging and Supporting Each Student to Achieve Full Potential

Skip to main content
Mobile Menu

WSU Running Start

What is Running Start?

The Running Start program is a partnership between the high schools of Whitman County and Washington State University. Running Start allows qualified high school juniors and seniors to attend college courses during the fall and spring semesters at WSU and receive both high school and college credit.

Who is eligible to participate in Running Start?

Every Running Start student must:

  1. Be at least a junior in high school.
  2. For guaranteed admission, have a minimum 3.5 GPA at the time of application.  For students below a 3.5 cumulative GPA at the time of admission, an admission index number (a combination of grade point average and standardized test scores) of 60 or higher.
  3. Complete the high school procedures regarding Running Start.
  4. Have permission from the principal or high school counselor.
  5. Have courses approved by the high school counselor.
  6. Submit the Running Start application, transcript and test scores to WSU.

How does the program work?

You attend regular WSU classes during the fall or spring semester. When you complete the course(s) successfully, college credit is granted. You are encouraged to contact any college or university that you are interested in attending to find out how these credits may transfer. The credit you earn is applied toward your high school graduation requirements. A 3-credit course taken at WSU will transfer as 1-credit to your high school. Your college coursework academic records are maintained by WSU and an unofficial transcript will be sent to your high school.

How much does it cost?

As a Running Start student you do not pay college tuition or fees up the Running Start Funding Limit Table. Any credits over 15 or over 1.2 combined high school and WSU FTE will be billed at the current WSU per credit rate. You are responsible for paying for all books (including electronic books or course materials charged to your student account), supplies, and placement examination fees for WSU courses. Also, any student over 15 credits at WSU or the combined 1.2 FTE is responsible for paying for all associated tuition and fees.  You will also have to provide your own transportation to and from campus.


Academic Standards

Running Start students must adhere to the university’s Academic Standards Policy listed in the WSU catalog under Academic Regulations 38, 39, and 41.


What classes will I be able to take?


Your high school counselor will help you choose courses that will help you to meet your academic goals. Most of the courses you will take will be at the freshmen or sophomore level (100-200-level courses). These courses will provide you with the foundation upon which to build other university coursework, and, in general, they may transfer to other institutions more readily.

Please note that you are responsible for your enrollment in courses at WSU. This includes meeting the requirements for enrolling in a course as outlined in the course prerequisites in the catalog and understanding deadlines for withdrawing from a course as stated in the Academic Calendar. 

If you choose to take a course that has prerequisites, you must contact the department directly to inquire about specific documentation the department may need.  The WSU Registrar's Office has no authority to grant you permission to enroll in any course of which you do not meet prerequisites.  This includes any courses that have placement requirements.

How do I apply?

1. Fill out the Running Start application and Semester Approval Form.
2. Obtain parent or guardian’s signature.
3. Obtain high school principal or counselor’s signature.
4. Return to Washington State University Running Start Coordinator
5. Be sure to enclose high school transcripts and SAT (PSAT) or ACT (PLAN) scores (if necessary).
6. Mail to:
Office of the Registrar - WSU
French Ad 346
PO Box 641035
Pullman, WA 99164-1035

If you intend to enroll for a MATH class, you must take the placement exam prior to enrolling.  Information can be found here: http://www.math.wsu.edu/placement/.  Please contact the Math department if you have questions regarding the math placement exam.

If you intend to enroll in an ENGLISH (100,101, 104, or 105) class, you must complete a writing assessment program prior to enrolling.  Information can be found here:  https://writingprogram.wsu.edu/writing-placement/

An acceptance letter is sent to your email listed on the application.  This email contains important information; read this letter and follow instructions immediately, as it contains instructions on how to create your network ID that is time sensitive